Oh me, oh my. This was a winner! I’m just sad that I had this on my menu for the past two weeks or so and I just now got ’round to making it. I seriously think I could eat this once a week, or maybe everyday for lunch. If your mouth doesn’t like a bunch of flavors at once, this may not be for you. I asked Kyle what his thoughts were on it and he said he couldn’t tell since he wasn’t sure if he tasted everything yet. Not only was this delicious, it was so incredibly easy.
The only thing hard for me is that sometimes I don’t think about making dinner so early in the day, so by the time I should have started it, it’s too late. While I do menu plan for each week, I don’t necessarily plan a specific meal each day. This allows me to be flexible if I’m in the mood to do a more involved meal or an easy to throw together one or what we may be in the mood for taste wise. It works for us, but just sometimes I do forget if I need to prep eary- say marinade something or like this meal- takes a while to cook. This one I tell you, is worth the wait! It smells so good, I didn’t want to wait for it!
So here it is:
Spicy African Peanut Stew
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 sweet potato, cubed (about 1 c. total)
- 1 1/2 t. curry powder
- 1/2-3/4 t. garam masala (depending on how spicy you like it)
- 1 t. cumin
- 1 T. minced ginger
- 2 t. minced garlic
- stevia to taste (I used some florida crystals, about 3/4 of a t)
- dash of cinnamon
- 1 can fire roasted tomatoes, in juice
- 1 can light coconut milk
- 2 c. vegetable stock
- 2 T. natural peanut butter
- 1/2 c. red lentils, drained and rinsed (can substitute quinoa, if desired)
- Optional garnishes: cilantro, chopped peanuts, sour cream or plain yogurt (vegan, if desired)
Add all ingredients into crockpot, cook on high for 1 hour and turn to low for several hours. I used soy yogurt and peanuts, which were amazing on it for garnish. Had I had cilantro, I would have added it, but both Wal-Mart and Hy-Vee were out- bummer! I served this with naan bread that I toasted, sooooooo yummy!